The preceptor group held an in house meeting to discuss the Balochistan issue after it was taken up in USA congress with a view to have a look at other side of the picture and assess important issues raised by speakers in the US congress on Balochistan in general and Balochistan issue in particular. Members were asked to get credible data through their own sources on the issue to substantiate their logics. A guest member was also invited who has wide knowledge of the subject and present happenings. The sharable data and some of the important discussion points are given under :
Conclusion Drawn From Discusion
The discussion concluded that there is no denying the fact that Balochistan had been neglected province in the past mainly because Balochistan became a province many years later. Its rights were not protected from there on, for which local leadership and federal political and military governments are responsible. The province became part of Pakistan in 1947 and continued to be administered by a Chief Commissioner. It was dissolved in 1955 when most parts of the western wing of Pakistan became the new province of West Pakistan. When that province was dissolved in 1970, the former Chief Commissioner’s province was combined with the former Baluchistan States Union and the enclave of Gwadar to form a new larger Balochistan Province with a Governor, a Chief Minister and a Provincial Assembly. This was intelligently exploited by the hostile forces working against Pakistan having direct interest in natural assets of the area. The sub-committee of the USA congress committee on foreign relations conducted a special hearing over the Balochistan issue in first half of Feb 2012. Five US lawmakers attended this unusual hearing of the House Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations and it witnesses human rights abuses in Balochistan and stressed the Baloch right to self-determination. It was noticed in the video of hearing on Balochistan that a speaker kept calling it Balukistan and did not even know the location of Balochistan. He stated that it is located between Iran and India. This shows that this was not a intellectual forum which studied the area, environment and the human right situation but the participants had some different agenda. Paper read by Mr Ali Dayan Hassan, the Pakistani director for human rights is also note worthy. Both US state department and Pakistan disowned and criticized the hearing.
As of present bad governance, tribal system, ethnic diversity, corruption and issue of missing people have worsened the situation of peace and stability. Groups like BLA,BRA and BLUF have come up as militant organizations some demanding independence of Balochistan. The present situation has been progressively tailored by initial low profile presence of militants in media and diplomatic circles out side Pakistan, till the time situation is ripe for direct international funding and support( see support at UK, USA, India and Isreal below). It was further concluded that solution lies from within and not blaming foreign interest as these interests only emerge when a state provides opportunity.
However, last decade or so has witnessed realization by all stake holders.The government and its institutions have been making efforts. The policy now does not only address the issue from now onwards but also has significant clauses for filling up the past inadequacies(NFC award and Aghaz hakooq Balochistan 2009 see extracts below). The main questions raised were
· “Why the fruits are not reaching a common Baloch and they still remain deprived?”
· “Despite the awareness and efforts, is this the difficult environment or the duplicity in the will of governments and leadership which is not delivering ?”
· The Human Rights Watch gives verdict by saying “indisputable” evidence points to the hand of the FC, the ISI and military intelligence, behind the killings and kidnapping. Is this true?
Truth is what we have failed to face and talk uptill now. The money has come, the efforts have been made but all has been diluted due to no checks and control. Absence of monitoring mechanism have made the mafia from strong to stronger. The reverting of ‘A’ area (police responsibility) back to ‘B’ area(Lavies responsibility- appointed by Sardars) by provincial government in 2008 has been the main source of bad Law and order. The mafia has raised their private armies by using government incentives. After closing of two Cantonments now there is emphasis on Frontier Corps(FC) ,despite the fact that we have seen developments in and around cantonments in entire country. Interestingly if you see the data of weekly Perceptor Report of end Jan and Feb 2012 the figure of deaths of security agency persons is much more than other deaths which negates the perception that FC is lifting and killing people in Balochistan, it is rather being targeted.The figure of FC deaths in Jan only is as high as 38. The mafia cannot withstand any measure of the government that could bring prosperity in the region and develop awakening among the masses that would lead to erosion of their authority’. The private armies of local warlords need to be tackled. Baloch Politicians have to come forward own and participate in development to defeat fear of militants. More than anything Balochistan requires a system of deliverance in tangible terms with political ownership.“What is more disturbing is not betray of traitors but silence of patriot”The logical and patroit Baloch Sardars rubbish even the idea of seperate Balochistan. Listen to an interview of Sardar Attaullah Mengal given to BBC:
Data On Balochistan. The data below will provide you an insight on the issue. Some data is not seen and talked in media but leaves a food for thought for all readers.
WHAT NFC AWARD HAS FOR BALOCHISTAN
1. For the first time in the history of Pakistan multiple criteria for resource distribution has been adopted which includes Population, Human Development Index (HDI), Inverse Population Density (IPD), and revenue generation/collection. Sole criterion of population has been discontinued which was the hallmark of previous NFC Awards.
2. Share of Balochistan from the divisible pool has been increased from 5.11% to 9.09%. 56
3. Balochistan will get Rs 83 billion in the next financial year (2010-11) which will not be reduced in case of shortfall of revenue collection by the Federal Government. At present Balochistan is getting Rs 44 billion.
4. Balochistan will also receive Rs 120 billion over a period of twelve years on account of Gas Development Surcharge (GDS) arrears. An additional amount of Rs 10 billion will also be released by the Federal Government on account of equalization of well head price with effect from 2002.
5. A sum of Rs 3 billion would additionally be available from the next financial year as a result of equalization of well head price throughout the country.
6. General Sales Tax (GST) on services has been shifted to the provinces which will be an additional source of revenue for Balochistan. November 25, 2009.
The Federal Government on November 25, 2009 presented the Aghaz-eHuqooq-e-Balochistan package to a joint sitting of the parliament. Following is included in package presented by Senator Raza Rabbani of the ruling Pakistan People’s party:
Ø Constitutional-related Matters
Ø Politically-Related Matters
Ø Administratively-Related Matters
· Commission. A commission should be constituted in respect of the missing persons. The commission should be headed by sitting member of the superior judiciary from Balochistan, including the federal defence, interior ministers and the home minister of the province. The proceedings of such a commission shall be held in camera.
· New Army Cantonments. Construction of new cantonments in Sui and Kohlu be stopped for the time being. Army will be withdrawn from Sui after handing over the duties to FC. FC will also takeover the already constructed Cantonment at Sui.
· Conversion of “B” Areas into “A” Areas . In view of the decision of the provincial government, the policy of conversion of “B” areas into “A” areas may be reviewed from time to time. Urban areas may have regular police.
· Gas Development Surcharge .The federal government agrees to pay the arrears of Gas Development Surcharge from 1954 to 1991. This is a total amount of Rs 120 billion payable in 12 years.
· Ownership in oil and gas companies. In organisations such as PPL, OGDCL and Sui Southern, the province will be able to purchase up to 20% of the right shares when offered in the open market.
· Sandak Project. The federal government from its 30% shares in the project will immediately give 20% to the province. On completion of the project and when the foreign company withdraws, the project shall be owned exclusively by the province.
· Uniform Price of Gas . There shall be a uniform price of gas throughout the country for the purpose of calculation of GDS.
· . Kohlu District . Special incentives should be given to the local tribes to facilitate exploration in the area, which continues to be closed due to security concerns.
Data Included in Discussion After Cross check from more than one source
Ø Out of 30 , only 5 districts of Balochistan are volatile.
Ø In 2011 there were 117rocket, 39 granade, 134 gas pipeline, 20 electric pilon and 215 IED attacks.
Ø Rs 25 crore per minister (about 65 in number) given per year for development. Are they seen on ground?
Ø Councillate at Afghan border ,main source of backing for militants.
Ø BLA, BRA and BLUF amongst main militant groups as they kill and own responsibility.
Ø Only 5-7% was A area police monitored and rest B area is with Lavies under Sardars.
Ø 78 FC and 533 civilian killed in 2011
Ø 38 FC killed in Jan 2012
Ø 291 reported kidnappings in 2011
Ø Missing person list of thousands when came to court only about 50 found missing.
Ø No go areas formed by influential as lavies does not have potential and grounds to check the powerful. These areas may be having some missing persons.
FOREIGN HAND SABOTAGING PEAC E IN BALOCHISTAN:
Defence Minister Ahmed Mukhtar said on Wednesday [February 2, 2010] that India is involved in sabotaging peace and creating trouble and instability in Balochistan and the tribal areas of Pakistan. Talking to visiting British Minister of State for the Armed Forces, Bill Rammell, who called on him at the Defence Ministry, the Mukhtar said that the coalition partners and the international community needs to take note of Indian involvement in Pakistan. Interior Minister Rehman Malik has reiterated that Indian intelligence agency’s Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) is involved in instigating the ongoing armed insurgency in Balochistan. He made these comments while talking to reporters in Gwadar on Wednesday [December 30,2009] before attending a federal cabinet meeting, chaired by Prime Minister Yousaf Raza GilaniBalochistan has a long porous border with Afghanistan. The Indian consulate in Kandahar, a border town, provides a firm base to train, arm and dispatch militants across the border to undertake sabotage activities in Balochistan. Indian companies have been awarded contracts on various projects to link Kabul with Balochistan near Iranian border; and in the bargain it makes the job of RAW easier.http://ipripak.org/factfiles/ff118.pdf
Baloch Movements operating from Foreign Bases
(Web based Information)
A rally was held by Balochistan Action Committee UK & World Sindhi Congress, lead by Khan of Kalat.
Forcible annexation of Balochistan by Pakistan, a petition to PM of UK.
Press release and petitions to Prime Minister Gordon Brown by Balochistan Action Committee, UK. (Source: Baloch Action Committee, dated March 31,08)
International rally/Letter to UK’s prime minister.
Balochistan Legal Fund (BLF)
Baloch Society of North America (BSO-NA)
Balochistan Legal Fund (BLF)
(Source: Balochistan Legal Fund Website)
Address of Balochistan Legal Fund (BLF) located in USA.
Baloch Student Organization (Azad)
Balochistan People’s Party
103 01 Stockholm Sweden
Fax: +45 8 43 75 97 37
356690-8, PG Bank,
0606 Stockholm PG SISESS,
Press release by Balohistan Students Organization (Azad) with address and bank account number of BSO in Stockholm, Sweden.
(Source: BSO (Azad) website)
Address and Bank account number of BSO (AZAD), which is operating from Sweden.
GOB (Exile) is composed of a loose group of Baloch nationalists from around the world who are structuring a skeleton for a sovereign Balochistan state so we can have a functional government Our temporary office is located in the Jewish quarters of Jerusalem, and Jewish Baloch nationals financially support us.
Exile government was launched on April 18, 2005.
United States is already doing a lot for the Baloch. I’ve personally met congresswomen Shelly Barkley (Nevada) and Sheila Jackson-Lee (Texas) and informed them of the crisis in Balochistan. Prior to President Rice’s visit to Pakistan, Congressman Thomas G. Tancredo (Colorado) wrote a letter to Secretary of State, Condoleezza Rice, to inform her of the crisis in Balochistan and to brief the President of the situation.
The World Baloch Jewish Alliance Building
PO Box 5631
Government of Balochistan in exile: An interview with Mir Azaad Khan Baloch
By Hindu Baloch
(Source: GOB (Exile) website)
Establishment of Govt. of Balochistan, GOB (Exile) w.e.f April 18, 2005 with its headquarters at Jerusalem.
Direct involvement of US-Israel nexus in Balochistan.
Nawabzada Harbayar Marri, son of Nawab Khair Bux Marri, who was arrested in December last year has been released from Belmarsh Jail.
The two (Harbayar Marri and Faiz Baloch) was arrested on December 4, 2007 on charge of being involved in terrorist activities in Balochistan and on the suspicion of being members of the so called Baloch Liberation Army.
Harbayar released in UK.
(Source: Daily Dawn, April 18, 2007)
Harbayar Marri has been very active along with Khan of Kalat in UK. He is believed to be fund raiser and remotely leading and supporting BLA operations.
FC and Pak Army Contribution in Development of Balochistan
· Induction- PMA
· ISSB Detachment has been established at Quetta.
· Special Relaxation of 5% marks as compared to candidates from other Provinces.
· Induction- Soldiers
· Education 8th Class instead of Matric in all arms/services except technical arms.
Projects Supervised by Army
· District Ziarat Development Project (After Earthquake)
· Renovation of Quaid’s Residency completed.
· Construction of 117 schools, 3 BHUs and 1 civil dispensary.
· Dera Bugti Development Project
· 1500 individual provided job opportunities.
· 1500 families provided fin asst.
· Renovation of 31 health facilities.
· students studying in Sui Cadet College and Baluchistan Public School Sui (BPSS).
· Kohlu Development Project
· Project being monitored through FC Balochistan.
· Aimed at infrastructure uplift of area through construction of 7 roads (307*Kms) in progress and 4 roads completed.
· 3 electricity and 10 water supply schemes.
· Construction of 50 bed hospital and Basic Health Unit (BHU).
Medical Facilitates by Army
· Free medical treatment is also provided to approx 500 to 1000 patients of Mekhter and Chamalang per month.
· Free med camps for 2-3 days are established in remote areas, where free medical examination and medicines are distributed.
Chamalang Coal mines
- 71, 586 individuals have been provided job opportunities.
- A labourer can earn Rs 30,000 per month.
- 2,000 Marri tribesmen have been employed as guards.
- 1.5 M tons of coal has been excavated so far (worth apporx Rs 8.23 B)
- Army started a comprehensive social uplift programme.
- Chamalang is about 40-45 KM north of Kohlu and 30-35 KM north-west of Barkhan, though far away but falls in the jurisdiction of Loralai.
- Chamalang coal reserves are 7 KM wide and 60 KM long which join with the coal, oil and gas bearing ranges in neighboring dists of Barkhan, Kohlu and Musakhel.
- Chamalang Coal estimated to be approx 500 million tons, being one of the best and easiest to excavate in Pakistan, is worth about US $ 50 billion.
- Chamalang, though in Luni area, had been under forcible occupation of the Marri tribe being superior in fighting potential since ages, especially after initial excavation in 1973.
- The tribal war claimed innumerable casualties and an area dominated by the one tribe was out of bound for the other. It was mandatory for a Marri to kill a Luni trespasser and vice a versa.
- Chamalang with a radius of about 50 KM was the stronghold of the Marri Farraris and other hardened criminals/militants/terrorists. None other than the Marris could ever think of entering into that area.
- All, without any exception, opposed the project because of its inherent risks and dangers making it almost impossible to undertake.
- I took a deliberate decision based on my appreciation that benefits and virtues of the project would far outweigh its risks, dangers and cost and therefore accepted the challenge.
- Both civil and military hierarchy expected and thus prepared to accept a large number of causalities on both sides. Allah be praised, not a single drop of blood was shed on either side.
- Today more than 80,000 people are directly employed at the site and each on the average earns Rs. 20,000/- per month. This means Rs. 1.6 billion are disbursed to the work force alone every month.
- A Labor Township, consisting of 4 Labor Colonies, worth about Rs. 2 billion has come up. Phase-2 of the Township will have more colonies.
- A 25-Bedded Hospital including residential accommodation for the doctors and staff has been constructed.
- An attractive “Chamalang Beneficiaries Healthcare Program” with benefits including huge incentives for the doctors, paramedics and staff, and free treatment/medicine going down to the dispensary level. More than 100,000 Balochi patients received free treatment, including eye surgeries with gratis eye lens, from the medical camps frequently established in the far-flung areas.
- The most popular “Chamalang Beneficiaries Education Program” is sponsoring the tribal children in very good quality schools. Today about 7,000 tribal children, overwhelmingly Marri, are studying all over Pakistan in such schools where my children used to study. The Luni children are also availing the benefit.
- Roads, tracks, electricity, telecom, Police Station, water supply schemes have been provided that helped generation of economic activity and a chain of linked businesses.
- So far approx 3 million tons of coal has been added to the national economy thus saving huge foreign exchange.
- A 2,500 strong force, known as Chamalang Guard, from the Marri tribe has been raised that is now protecting the coalmines.
FC ROLE IN EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT
· FC Balochistan is running 16 Primary Schools and 5 Middle schools and 6 high schools with 100% free education to 3500 local children.
· FC Balochistan is running 6 x Colleges and 28 FC Public Schools
Total Students - more than 10000
Name of Project
Length in KMs
Construction of Peri-Gabd (Pak-Iran Border) Sec of MCHP (N-10) Sec II
New Gwadar International Airport Package-A Site Protection Works
Construction of Gwdar Pleri-Jiwani Sec of MCHP
Construction of Lakh Pass Tunnel Project on BOT Basis
Upgradtion, Widening and Construction of Surab- Basima-Nag-Panghur-Hoshab Road Project
Design and Construction of Mangi Dam and Water Convenyance System
1. Establishment of PNR & SC Gwadar In order to enhance representation, in particular for the youth hailing from Baluchistan, PN Recruitment & Selection Centre (PNR&SC) at Gwadar has been established, in addition to PNR & SC Quetta which will start functioning in next two months. In the backdrop of this, it is envisaged that recruitment of candidates from coastal and adjoining areas i.e Ormara, Pasni, Gwadar, Turbat and Jiwani will increase substantially.
2. Recruitment Campaigns for Baluch Pakistan Navy undertook vigorous recruitment campaign in Baluchistan since the year 2007 to create awareness amongst the people. As a result, large number of candidates appeared for the qualifying test, out of which 278 were selected out of which 147 joined Pakistan Navy in sailors category.
3. During the year 2011, 03 candidates have joined Pakistan Naval Academy (02 as cadets & 01 as commissioned officer through SSC entry). In addition, recruitment for PN Cadets & Short Service Commission (SSC) for 2012-A batch is in progress. Total of 09 & 19 candidates for PN Cadets and SSC terms respectively have been selected for appearing at ISSB. Subject to qualifying ISSB, the individuals will be selected for induction in Pakistan Navy for the term scheduled to commence in Jul 12.
4. N Cadet Scheme for Baluch N Cadet scheme is being reintroduced (as a welfare scheme) exclusively for candidates hailing from Baluchistan who have passed 7th class. Each year 20 candidates will be selected and given admission in selected Cadet Colleges for a period of 5 years to complete their studies till FSc on Govt charges. Subsequently, these candidates will appear before ISSB; those recommended will join Pakistan Naval Academy as PN cadets.
5. Short Service Commission (SSC) for Baluch Induction of talented and bright Baluch youth in PN through Short Service Commission (SSC) who have completed their education till Graduation (with any combination of subjects) has been approved. These candidates will be inducted without ISSB in Pakistan Navy.
Special Relaxations for Baluch To facilitate the candidates and enhance intake from Baluchistan, following special/exclusive relaxations have been approved for ethnic Baluch’s:
a. Relaxation in Sailors Category
(1) 20% in SSC marks for ethnic Baluch.
(2) Two years in upper age limit.
(3) Substantial number of seats have been reserved for province of Baluchistan in every batch of sailors.
b. Relaxation in PN Cadet Term
(1) 10% relaxation in FSc marks (i.e, 50% marks for Baluch candidates instead of 60% applicable for others).
(2) 10% marks waiver in entrance test (35% marks for Baluch candidates instead of 45% applicable for others).
(3) This year special relaxation has been given to induct 01 x Baluch candidate in PN Cadet Term 2011-B who has joined Pakistan Naval Academy at Karachi on 08 Jan 12.
c. Relaxation in SSC Course
(1) 10% marks relaxation in respective subject qualification applicable to all SSC branches.
(2). 10% marks waiver in entrance test (35% marks for Baluch candidates instead of 45% applicable for others).
d. Other Measures for Baluch
(1) ISSB facilities (tests/interviews) are being provided for candidates of Baluchistan at Quetta for officer’s induction.
(2) A close liaison is being maintained with concerned authorities of province while carrying out Mobile Recruitment in the province. A team headed by Officer-In-Charge (O I/C) PN Recruitment and Selection Centre Karachi has visited Gwadar, Turbat, Pasni and Ormara from 12 to 17 Dec 11. Previously, Mobile Recruitment was conducted from 25 to 30 Jul 11, 14 to 19 Mar 11 and 25 to 30 Oct 10. The next Mobile Recruitment is planned in the month of April 2012.
PN EDUCATIONAL ACTIVITIES & PROJECTS AT BALUCHISTAN
1.Bahria Model School Gwadar. Bahria Model School Gwadar (from Mont (Beg) class to IV), established in March 2010, is providing quality education to the local children at nominal fee with pick and drop facilities. At present, 158 students are studying in the school. Out of 158 students, 152 are local and 6 are Naval wards. A grant of Rs. 0.6 M (Approx) is being provided to the school on annual basis to meet the recurring expenditure.
2. Bahria Model School Ormara Bahria Model School Ormara (from Mont (Beg) class to VII), was established in 2004. At present, 331 students are studying in the school. Out of which 306 are local and 25 are Naval wards. A grant of Rs. 2.0 M has been provided to Bahria School Ormara for purchase lab equipment and books to meet the requirements of Federal and Quetta boards for affiliation. Additionally, a grant of Rs. 1.0 M (Approx) is also being provided to the school on annual basis to meet recurring expenditures and staff salaries.
3. Patronage of Govt Schools at Ormara Govt Boys High School Ormara, Girls High School Ormara, Govt Middle School for Boys Ormara are being look after by PN and necessary assistance like provision of teachers, furniture, stationary items and maintenance of school is being provided to these institutions on ’as and when required’ basis. A Naval Officer of the rank of the Lt Cdr is also appointed as principal Govt High School Ormara.
4. Admission of Baluchi students to Bahria Model Schools at Karachi. Admission of Baluchi students of coastal areas to Bahria Model Schools at Karachi is another major initiative of PN. In this regards, 19 Baluchi students (10 in class VIII & 09 in class IX) have already joined PN Model School at Sabir SRE, Karachi. The selection of the third group of 10-15 students for the next academic session is under process. Under this scheme, all facilities including education, boarding, lodging etc are being provided free of cost and on successfully qualifying SSC exam, these students will have the option to join PN as sailors.
5. Reserved seats for Baluchi students in Bahria University. One seat each in MBA and BBA programmes at Bahria University, Karachi campus for the youth of Baluchistan, has been reserved for the children of local residents of the coastal areas of Baluchistan. The nominated students are exempted from payment of tuition fee and allied charges, however, cost of living is to be arranged by the students themselves.
6. Reserved seats at Cadet College Petaro. At Cadet College Petaro (CCP), functioning under auspices of PN, two seats have been allocated to students from the coastal areas of Baluchistan and one seat for students from Dera Bugti. Presently 27 students from Baluchistan, including 9 admitted with current academic year, are studying at Cadet College Petaro.
7. Establishment of Cadet College Ormara. A mega project of establishment of Cadet College Ormara has been initiated at the cost of Rs.601.0 M. NHQ accorded in principle approval of the project. Upon functioning of the college, 50% seats will be reserved for Baluch candidates (N-Cadets) who will join the college in class VIII and on successful completion of F.Sc studies and recommendations of ISSB, they will join PN as regular cadets. The recurring expenditure of the project is Rs.21.5 M p.a.
8. PN Model School Ormara. The school is under construction at the cost of Rs.197.576 M and will tentatively be completed by December 2012. The level of the school is SSC and will be enhanced to HSSC level. PN will provide all facilities to the school. The school will provide better educational opportunities to the local populace.