HUBCO – TEL (Thar Energy Limited)
- Hubco Thar Block II mine-mouth power stationis a proposed coal plant in Pakistan.
- The plant is proposed to be built in Sindh province.
- The National Electric Power Regulatory Authority (Nepra) accepted a generation license application from Thar Energy Limited (TEL) for a 330 MW mine-mount plant located in Thar Block II.
- The total project cost is as per the Coal Upfront Tariff 2014 is estimated at $497.7 million which includes the total equity worth of $124.4 million (25%) and the total debt is $373.3 million (75%).
- A joint venture, namely China Power Hub Generation, ofChina Power International Holding and Hubco has been formed.
- Hubco has 26% stake in CPHGC project, however, can increase its equity to 49% by the commercial operations date.
- It will be financed mainly by debt raised from Chinese financial institutions, with the remainder raised from Pakistani banks.
- It was permitted in May 2016. (Pakistan Today: May 3, 2016)
- Target date is July 2020. (Daily times: Oct 6, 2016)
- Pakistan has lignite reserves of around 186 Bt. With these huge reserves Pakistan is at the 7th place amongst the lignite (coal) rich countries of the world. The biggest parts are located at Thar-parker District in south-eastern province of Sindh, where about 176 Bt of total lignite (95%) has been explored.
- The extension of the entire lignite bearing area is about 9100 sq. km. The Thar lignite is recognized as a major energy source, which has the potential to support the energy production from indigenous resource substantially.
Other related details:
- Sponsor (Phase I): Thar Energy Limited (TEL)
- Parent company (Phase I): Hub Power Company (Hubco)
- Location: Thar Block-II, southeast of Singhara in Thatta district, Sindh province
- Coordinates: 24.7836176, 70.3670883 (approximate)
- Gross Capacity: 330 MW
- Coal Type: lignite
- Coal Source: Thar Block II